Sometimes when you install, upgrade or otherwise modify your SolidNetWork License Manager(SNL) on your server, you will encounter an issue where the server does not see and cannot issue the newly activated licenses. You may also encounter a constant reactivation loop and the message “Could not get information from the server,” when this happens.
This article will address the most common causes, with the accompanying License Manager Log error messages, and the steps to resolve the issues. For Network Client troubleshooting click here.
FlextNet or SOLIDWORKS Licensing Services are disabled
The SNL will fail to see/issue licenses if either the FlexNet Licensing Service or SolidNetWork Licensing Manager Service are disabled. To check this, go to Services, check the status and startup type. If either service is disabled or stopped, choose to set it to automatic and start/restart the service.
1. Open Services by searching for Services or entering services.msc in a Run dialogue box
2. Locate FlexNet Licensing Service (FlexNet Licensing Service 64 – you may not have both, but if you do both must be set to automatic and running)
3. If disabled you will need to set the service to automatic start and then manually start the service.
a. Right click the service and select Properties
b. Use the drop down to change from Disabled to Automatic
c. Click Apply
d. Click Start to start the service
4. Locate SolidNetWork License Manger service and make sure it is set to Automatic and Running. If it is not running, and you cannot start/restart it, go to the next section(s) concerning LMGRD Errors.
5. After you have confirmed the above Services are running, you should next check if you have a specific error message in your SNL Log. Scroll to the bottom, or near the bottom and see if you have a message (as shown below), and if the ## is 53, 58 or 255 refer to those sections of this article.
17:09:32 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemons ...
17:09:32 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemon at port 25735
17:09:32 (lmgrd) Using vendor daemon port 25735 specified in license file
17:10:18 (lmgrd) SW_D exited with status ## (additional information)
17:10:18 (lmgrd) No feature will be served.
SW_D exited with status 53
Generally, the full message for this is “SW_D exited with status 53 (Incorrect value for the environment variable LM_BINDING_AGENT)” and is caused by a missing prerequisite Microsoft component. The components that are missing, or in rare cases corrupted, are the 32 bit (displays as X86) and 64 bit Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 components.
You can get those files directly from Microsoft here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
If you have “SW_D exited with Status 53,” but the remaining part of the message is different, this could be caused by another C++ being corrupted or missing. Please use the article here Steps To Repair The Register_i386_SldShellExtServerExe Error During Installation to replace all Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
LMGRD Error: SW_D exited with status 58
The LMGRD Error: SW_D exited with status 58 has two main causes, a port conflict or Data Execution Prevention (DEP) interfering.
Generally, a port conflict is corrected by using the “fire wall in use” setting in the SolidNetWork License manager activation step. Also, you can check for other programs using either port 25734 and 25735 and change those programs to use other ports.
Technically you should not encounter DEP interference as this was an automatic feature of older Windows and Windows Server OS’s where you had to add exceptions. While it exists in newer versions, it is not as restrictive. If you do encounter interfere from DEP you will need to add lmgrd.exe and sw_d.exe as exceptions to DEP.
Steps (images from Windows 10)
1. Go to Control Panel > All items > System
2. Click Advanced System Settings
3. Click Settings
4. Choose the Data Execution Prevention tab
5. Put the radial dot into Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select.
6. Use Add to then search for and Add the exceptions - be aware you will need to add ALL programs you do not want to have DEP running on. Be aware some programs will not allow you to refuse to run DEP on them.
LMGRD Error: SW_D exited with status 255
The full repeated entries in the SolidNetWork License (SNL) manager file (LMGRD.LOG) might be of the form:
11:43:18 (SW_D) FlexNet Licensing version v126.96.36.199 build 134011i86_n3
11:43:18 (lmgrd) SW_D exited with status 255 ()
11:43:18 (lmgrd) Since this is an unknown status, license server
11:43:18 (lmgrd) manager (lmgrd) will attempt to re-start the vendor daemon.
11:43:18 (lmgrd) Starting vendor daemon at port 25735
11:43:18 (lmgrd) Using vendor daemon port 25735 specified in license file
11:43:18 (lmgrd) Restarted SW_D (pid 2876)
This is caused by the SNL not detecting nor showing active products or add-in. It can also happen if the Network Serial Number has missing products or add-ins which would not provide any licensing to the SNL.
To resolve this issue you may use the following processes.
Process 1: Remove licensing and reactivate.
1. Use the Transfer process to remove the faulty license off the server.
2. Restart Server
3. Reactivate SolidNetWork License manager
4. If there are still no licenses showing under License usage, or all say 0 and the exit code is still 255 go to the next process
Process 2: Manually remove licensing and reactivate.
1. Find the fulfillment ID
2. Open Command Prompt
3. Change directories to where the 'swactwiz_s.exe' (SolidNetWork License (SNL)) executable resides
4. In that directory run the following command:
looks something like:
5. Delete the license using this command:
swactwiz_s.exe /ts:delete /fulfillmentid:SWN-1234567890XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
6. Launch SNL and try to reactivate – be sure to confirm it is not trying to read a license file and then activate over the internet.
Process 3: Contact Hawk Ridge Support to request your serial number’s products and add-ins be fixed.
The Hawk Ridge support agent will need to gather your full serial number, confirm the products that should be on your serial number and then submit a request to DS SOLIDWORKS to fix your serial number’s products and add-ins. In extreme cases the serial number may be replaced. During this process, Hawk Ridge may be able to acquire and supply a temporary license file to get your SNL running.
US # 877-266-4469
Canadian # 866-587-6803
View the illustrated PDF for additional guidance with the listed troubleshooting and processes.