MDL "Material Definition Language" is a new standard of materials that was created by NVIDIA. This adds another layer of appearances available for SOLIDWORKS Visualize. These are real world physical appearances that can be used after they are downloaded on the system.
To use this library you need to first download from the NVIDIA site.
- Go to the NVIDIA site: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/technologies/vmaterials/#download-vmaterial
- Click on the 'Download' button and fill in the form.
- An email will be sent to the email used this will have the link to download.
- Install the library in a convenient location on your computer. It is a very large download and it is not needed to be installed on the C: drive.
- After downloading copy vMaterials folder to your SOLIDWORKS Visualize Appearances location, default is:
‘C:\Users\[user]\Documents\SOLIDWORKS Visualize Content’
- This location can be changed in the 'Tools>Options>General>Library Paths>Appearances
The MDL Appearances will now show in the Appearances library.
To use them now is just like all other appearance, from the Appearances library. You can also import them individually if you prefer.
To add an MDL appearance manually into a SOLIDWORKS Visualize project follow these steps.
- In the Appearances Palette, select '+' (Add)> Import Appearnace.
- Browse to where you have them stored and select an MDL file. You can also just Drag & Drop from Windows Explorer as well.
For more information about MDL, visit the following NVIDIA webpage:
For further technical support please contact Hawk Ridge Systems at 877.266.4469 for the U.S. or 866.587.6803 for Canada.