If your Visualize experiences issues with the viewport being black and crashes when you select in the viewport. This can be an issue with the prerequisite DirectX End-User Runtimes not being installed, or not installing correctly.
If you experience this crash, follow these steps:
- When the crash log is displayed, click on 'Copy to Clipboard'.
- Open Notepad, and paste the clipboard into this.
- Look for the following exact text:
'System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException = "External component has thrown an exception."
at D3DPreprocess(Void* , UInt64 , SByte* , _D3D_SHADER_MACRO* , ID3DInclude* , ID3D10Blob** , ID3D10Blob** )
at SlimDX.D3DCompiler.ShaderBytecode.Preprocess(Byte shaderSource, ShaderMacro defines, Include include, String& compilationErrors)
at SlimDX.D3DCompiler.ShaderBytecode.Preprocess(String shaderSource, ShaderMacro defines, Include include)
at Bunkspeed.UDrive.Drawing.Shader.Manage.ShaderTextConstructor..ctor(IContext context, IGlobalDrawingSettings globalDrawingSettings, IDeviceManager deviceManager, IDeviceContext deviceContext)'
If this is in the log please follow these steps to resolve the issue:
- Close the Visualize application.
- Click the link below to download the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010)*.
- Right click on directx_jun2010_redist.exe and run as administrator.
- Extract files to a folder of your choosing.
- Right click the DXSETUp.exe and run as administrator and install the runtimes.
*NOTE: if you have a SOLIDWORKS DVD or FULL download, you do not need to download the runtimes. Instead, you can run 'DXSETUP.exe' from the ‘\prereqs\DirectX9’ folder of the DVD or download media.