This article reviews various troubleshooting techniques, both client-side and server-side, for common issues related to users who cannot communicate to the Flexnet Server Simulia Abaqus uses for Licensing. This is meant for servers using Flexnet Licensing and not Dassault Systems License Server (DSLS).
Pointing Client Machine at Flexnet Server
The first thing a client should check is whether or not their Abaqus is configured to point at the server. When installing Abaqus we are given an option to specify the server type and server address (port number@server name/ip address). After installing Abaqus, this can be changed by editing a file called “custom_v6.env” file. Default location is:
- For Abaqus 2020 & newer:
- For Abaqus 2019 & older:
Edit the file in notepad to add the following lines or edit to change where the client is pointing at for the server. Then save it to maintain the file extension of .env. The file should contain the following two lines so that Abaqus is set to use Flexnet for licensing and point at a server.
abaquslm_license_file="<port number>@<server name>"
The default port number is 27000.
Checking Flexnet Server Service
This section goes over how to check to ensure the Flexnet Server service is setup correctly to be able to run while the FLEXNet Licensing Utilities is not currently open.
- Launch “FLEXNet Licensing Utilities” from start menu.
- Go to the Start/Stop/Reread tab and stop the service.
- Go to the Config Services tab.
- Check that the path's to the the lmgrd.exe, license file, and path to debug log file are correct. The path to the license file can be any path as desired by the user. The typically paths for the lmgrd.exe and debug log files are:
- Ensure that the check boxes at the bottom of Config Services for "Start Server at Power Up" and "Use Services" are checked.
- Note what the Service Name is set to then save the service, restart the server from the Start/Stop/Read tab, and close the FLEXNet Licensing Utilities.
- From a Windows Search type "Services" to bring up Services.
- Browse for the service with the name that was noted and check that it is set to automatic, if it is not set to automatic right click on it and got to properties to change.
Client Unable to Connect to Server
This section goes over some techniques to troubleshoot in the event a client machine cannot connect to the server.
- Follow this article to ensure the firewall on the server is configured to not block Abaqus:
Abaqus Firewall Exceptions – Hawk Ridge Systems Support
- Perform ping and telnet tests following the guide below to ensure the client can connect to the server machine and port used for the server.
Ping and Telnet Tests – Hawk Ridge Systems Support
The default port used by Abaqus is 27000 and can be checked by opening FLEXNet Licensing Utilities and performing a server status enquiry from the server status tab. The enquiry will read out in the text box below starting with the date performed, followed by server port with server name/ip address, and will also say where the license file is located.
If you encounter any issues along the way or have any further questions, you can contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support at 877.266.4469 (US) or 866.587.6803 (Canada) or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org