This article walks through the steps necessary to resolve the error message "Another installation is already in progress", which can occur during the installation of any of the SOLIDWORKS prerequisite programs.
The image above shows an example of the error message, which can occur while installing a program. The actual error code will be generated by the program that is attempting to install, so the message itself will be the unique identifier.
The error is related to the Windows Installer service, so restarting the machine will typically not resolve the issue. However, the steps listed below should allow the installation data to be cleared from the machine in question, allowing future installs to proceed.
1. Navigate to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. As a note, in order to access the "Administrative Tools" option, the "View by" setting in the Control Panel will need to be set to either Large or Small icons.
2. In the "Services" window, find the "Windows Installer" service, as shown below.
3. Right click the "Windows Installer" service and select "Properties".
4. In the "Windows Installer Properties" window, set the "Startup type" to Disabled > Apply > OK.
5. Restart the machine.
6. After the machine in question has restarted, follow steps 1 through 3 to navigate back to the "Windows Installer Properties" window.
7. Set the Startup type to either "Manual" or "Automatic" > Apply > OK. This will close the "Windows Installer Properties" window.
8. In the "Services" window, right-click the Windows Installer Service > Select "Start", as shown below.
9. Re-attempt the installation.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.