This guide gives instructions for updating or rolling back your NVIDIA graphics card driver to a version certified by SOLIDWORKS for your environment. This is a common first step used to troubleshoot graphical performance and instability issues in SOLIDWORKS products.
Download Recommended Driver
Per a recent Windows 10 issue with external monitors plugged into docking stations, it is recommended that all NVIDIA users to upgrade to the R440 branch or newer. For more about this specific issue, we have it documented here.
To obtain the latest NVIDIA driver, click here or browse to the following site: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us
No uninstall is required because the NVIDIA driver package has an advanced clean install option built-in. When enabled, this option takes care of completely removing any evidence of the previously installed version and then installs the new version. This is very helpful when the current driver is causing issues or is not in a stable condition.
- Close down all programs on your computer.
- Run the downloaded exe file with administrator rights.
- Follow the prompts in the installer until you get to the Installation options screen and select Custom (advanced) and click Next.
- Enable all components and select Perform a clean installation, then click Next to begin the installation.
The installation will now proceed. Your monitor may go black and the resolution may change a few times during the installation.
- Restart your computer to complete the process.