This guide is written for SOLIDWORKS 2023. If you are using an earlier version of SOLIDWORKS, please download our earlier installation documents.
Before loading any software, you should always login with full administrative permissions and disable any anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.
Before installing a network client, you must first install the SolidNetWork License Manager Server. If you have not done this yet, please see our document on Network Server Installation before continuing with the client install.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS, please contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS and checking that you are ready to load your new software.
- First, check these links to ensure minimum system requirements and that your video card is compatible.
- Next, please confirm that the hard drive has enough space to end up with at least 15% free space, after the full installation has completed so your new software will work as expected. Back-up any older SOLIDWORKS data such as any working files, custom toolbox items, saved template files, design library, or other related data files. You can also save your settings with the Copy Settings Wizard. SOLIDWORKS CAD is year specific, IE: not forward compatible, meaning older versions of SOLIDWORKS cannot open files from newer versions.
- Login to your computer with full administrative rights.
- Turn down the User Account Control setting (found in the Control Panel). To do this, press your Windows button, either on the screen or on the keyboard. Then type “UAC” followed by the enter key. The window that follows shows a vertical scroll bar. Make the setting “Never Notify” for the installation (requires restarting the computer to take effect) and change it back after installing, if you prefer.
- Disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
SOLIDWORKS is installed from the SOLIDWORKS installation download or disc. It uses the same installation manager as other SOLIDWORKS products. You will need to download the SOLIDWORKs Installation Manager to download and install SOLIDWORKS. Beginning with SOLIDWORKS 2021, DVD distribution media is provided only on request.
- Please go to the SOLIDWORKS download page and choose the SOLIDWORKS year version that you would like to install. (Please note that you will need to login before you can get to that website.) Follow the instructions to download and start the executable. Also, if you have one, you can put in the SOLIDWORKS installation disc and start the Setup.exe.
- The Welcome page will welcome you to SOLIDWORKS and ask which type of installation you would like to perform. For a network client install, pick the option Install on this computer. Press the Next button to continue.
- The Serial Number page will ask for your 16 or 24 digit serial number. If you have this information from a document, you can copy and paste this information into the first cell and it will fill out correctly.
- If you are loading other products with separate serial numbers, press the corresponding checkboxes and enter these numbers as well.
Note that SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard is included with SOLIDWORKS Professional and SOLIDWORKS Premium. A PDM Standard serial number only needs to be entered if this item was purchased separately with Standard SOLIDWORKS.
Also, Basic Simulation and SOLIDWORKS Motion are included with SOLIDWORKS Premium and these items only need to be entered if you have purchased these separately.
If you purchased Simulation Professional or Simulation Premium, you will want to enter your serial number for SOLIDWORKS Simulation to ensure the full version is loaded.
- Click the Next button to continue. You may be informed that there is a newer version of SOLIDWORKS available for download. We recommend you choose to continue installing with your original service pack and upgrade later. Press the Next button to continue.
- The installer will check to see that it is up to date, as well as confirming what products you are entitled to load.
- If you are not online, it will warn that you cannot automatically select products to install. Pressing Cancel will continue with the load, but you must manually select all your add-ins during the installation instead of being given a list based on your serial number.
- The system will detect any previous installations of SOLIDWORKS.
For a computer with an existing SOLIDWORKS installation, you can install a new year version alongside the existing year version and it will create all new files, templates etc., for the new 2023 year version (typically) without affecting old templates etc. Or you can upgrade an existing installation to 2023.
- Click the Next button to continue.
- With the serial number you provided, the version of SOLIDWORKS and its add-ins will appear in the Summary page under the Products list. If you would like to edit what products will be loaded, you can press the CHANGE button to customize your installation.
- If you choose to add or remove items from this installation, you can do this with the checkboxes in front of each item. Press the Back to Summary button to return to the revised summary.
- If you wish to edit your Download Options, Install Locations or Toolbox Options, you can press the arrow symbol (>) in front of the desired item. Press the CHANGE button on any of these summary items to customize them.
Hole Wizard Options:
If you have an existing library, you should update this if you plan on using existing assemblies in 2023. If you choose to update, make sure all users are going to use 2023; you cannot mix toolbox information from older versions.
You will also be shown the required file size and available disk space at the bottom of this page. If there are any items selected earlier that require download, the size of these will be listed too.
- Click the Install (or Download and Install) button to continue.
- You will be asked to specify the SolidNetWork License Manager (SNL) location. This is where your SNL is loaded and running. The default port number for this is 25734. Type “<Port>@<server name>” and press OK to continue.
- If any installation files need to download to load your summary options, these will be downloaded from the internet automatically.
- Now SOLIDWORKS will install.
- After SOLIDWORKS is installed, the other programs such as eDrawings, SOLIDWORKS Explorer and, depending on your package of SOLIDWORKS, any Data Management or Simulation items chosen during the product selection on the summary page module will also install.
- Now that SOLIDWORKS and its add-ins have all been loaded, you have the option to automatically check for service pack updates periodically, open the “What’s New” PDF or login and comment on the installation interface.
- You can choose to join the Customer Experience Program if you wish. This will periodically send fault and usage information via e-mail to SOLIDWORKS to help improve the product.
- Press the Finish button to complete the installation.
For further assistance, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 877-266-4469 (US) or 866-587-6803 (Canada).
Please sign in to leave a comment.