This guide is written for SOLIDWORKS 2022. If you are using an earlier version of SOLIDWORKS, please download our earlier installation documents to correctly download and update your software.
New customers will be sent the latest DVD media with the SOLIDWORKS software. Beginning with SOLIDWORKS 2020, all subscription customers need to request the DVD directly from SOLIDWORKS if they would like physical media at https://solidworks.dsgraphics.com/solidworksmediakit/
Your SOLIDWORKS software will be downloaded from solidworks.com using the directions in this document. In addition to the major release version, SOLIDWORKS periodically releases service packs that fix any issues found with the software between major releases; this document demonstrates how to apply these service packs.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS, please contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support.
Creating an Account
You will need a 3DEXPERIENCE ID or SOLIDWORKS ID in order to access the downloads. If you do not have an account and are unsure how to get one, please see the 3DEXPERIENCE ID creation steps.
When updating to a new version please use the following direction to get your SOLIDWORKS download.
1. Using a web browser go to https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/downloads.htm and log in with your 3DEXPERIENCE ID or SOLIDWORKS ID.
2. Where it says Selected Version, pick the version of SOLIDWORKS you wish to download. Also, be sure the tab for SOLIDWORKS is selected at the top of the list of downloads. Agree to the End User License Agreement on the following page to proceed.
3. In the License Agreement page, scroll to the bottom and click on Accept Agreement & Continue
4. On the next page, click the Download link to begin the download process.
5. At this point, the SolidWorks Setup will need to download. Press the Open or Save button on the dialog box that comes up. (If no dialog appears, be sure the security settings of your internet browser is set to allow downloads.) After the installation has finished, you can delete the Setup download since it will not be needed to run SOLIDWORKS. The download will have the SOLIDWORKS installation manager included as well.
6. A self-extracting file SolidWorksSetup.exe will be downloaded to the location specified in the last step.
NOTE: Windows has been known to block these files. To confirm your file is not blocked and will run correctly, please right click the file, select properties, and then choose to Unblock the file.
7. To Run the self-extractor, you can either right click and choose Run as Administrator or Double-click this file.
8. Press the Run button if a security warning box appears.
The executable will now launch the auto-extractor dialogue box which will extract the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager files to a location on this machine. Keep the When done unzipping open: sldim\sldim.exe check box active to immediately run the program. Press the Unzip button to continue.
9. When the file unzip has completed, a dialog box will appear showing the files where successfully unzipped. Press OK to continue.
10. On the Welcome page of the installer, you will be given four choices; we will use the fourth, Download and Share all files.
11. Press the Next button to continue.
12. Now you will be prompted for your serial number. If you have any add-ins, be sure to enter those numbers as well.
Note that SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard is included with SOLIDWORKS Professional and SOLIDWORKS Premium. A PDM Standard serial number only needs to be entered if this item was purchased separately with Standard SOLIDWORKS.
Also, SOLIDWORKS CAM Standard is included with all versions of SOLIDWORKS while Basic Simulation and SOLIDWORKS Motion are included with SOLIDWORKS Premium. These items only need to be entered if you have purchased these separately.
If you purchased Simulation Professional or Simulation Premium you will want to enter your serial number for SOLIDWORKS Simulation to ensure the full version is loaded.
13. Press the Next button to continue.
14. Now the installation manager will contact SOLIDWORKS to find out what products you need to download for your seat of SOLIDWORKS based on the serial number(s) provided.
15. The next screen shows your download options. You can press the Change button if you would like to change the location or method of the download.
If the download method is left at the default setting of “maximize speed”, this uses as much bandwidth as available and will slow down the internet access for others on your network. If necessary, press the CHANGE button for Download Options and uncheck the Speed up downloads by using more network bandwidth box and then press Back to Summary to continue.
Press the Download Now button to continue (You may be prompted to accept the SOLIDWORKS License Agreement).
16. Now the files will begin downloading to your computer. This may take some time depending on your internet connection and network traffic.
17. When the files have successfully transferred, you will see a page that tells you the download is complete.
18. No further downloads will be required unless a user selects some items to install that were not selected during the initial download or if the computer does not meet the minimum system requirements. Note where you have downloaded the files.
19. The client machines should now run the setup.exe from the download to begin installing. You may still be required to download some files if you select to install items that were not downloaded previously.
20. If the setup shortcut does not start the Installation Manager, check that it is implemented using a UNC path (such as \\servername\sharename). You can repair the shortcut by right-clicking it in Windows Explorer and then selecting Properties.
21. Once the installation manager is loaded onto the client machine, proceed with the installation as laid out in our Standalone Installation document.
Service Pack Updates
1. In SolidWorks, select the question mark icon and choose Check for Updates.
2. You will be connected to the internet and the service pack on your machine will be compared to the latest version.
3. If your software is older than the current service pack, you will be told there is a newer version available. You can set your download folder destination on this page.
4. To begin upgrading to the new service pack, press the Next button to continue.
5. The new service pack will now install.
6. With the serial number you provided, the SOLIDWORKS add-ins will appear in a list. If you would like to edit what products will be loaded, you can press the CHANGE button to customize your installation.
7. If you would like to add or remove items from this installation, you can do this with the check boxes in front of each item. Press the Back to Summary button to return to the revised summary.
8. If you wish to view your Download Options, Install Locations or Toolbox Options, you can press the Plus symbol (+) in front of the desired item. Press the CHANGE button on any of these summary items to customize them.
If the download method is left at the default setting of “maximize speed”, this uses as much bandwidth as possible and will slow down the internet connection for others on your network. If you do not want this, press the CHANGE button for Download Options and uncheck the Speed up downloads by using more network bandwidth box and then press Back to Summary to continue.
9. You will also be shown the required file size and available disk space at the bottom of this page.
10. If there are any items selected earlier that require download, the size of these will be listed too.
11. Click the Download and Install button to continue.
12. The installation files needed to load your summary options will be downloaded from the internet automatically.
13. Now SOLIDWORKS will install.
14. After SOLIDWORKS, the other programs such as eDrawings, SOLIDWORKS Explorer and, depending on your package of SOLIDWORKS, any Data Management or Simulation items chosen during the product selection on the summary page module will install.
15. Now that SOLIDWORKS and its Add-Ins have all been loaded, you have the options to automatically check for service pack updates, open the “What’s New” PDF or login to the website and comment on the installation interface. You can choose to join the Customer Experience Program if you wish. This will periodically send fault and usage information via e-mail to SOLIDWORKS to help improve the product.
16. Press the Finish button to complete the installation.
17. Now that the software is updated on the system, you will need to activate your license before you begin using the product. Please see our Product Activation document if you are unsure on how to do this.
Please sign in to leave a comment.