This guide is written for the installation of SOLIDWORKS Inspection 2019.
Before loading any software, you should always log in with full administrative permissions and disable your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and user account controls. The installation process has a Java component, be sure your operating system has been updated with Windows Updates recently to avoid any compatibility issues with the installer.
If you want to move a license to a new system, or from one machine to another, you must transfer that license back beforehand. See the license agreement if you are unsure about this policy.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS Inspection please contact Hawk Ridge Systems technical support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited. A PDF with images is located for download at the bottom of this article.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS and checking that you are ready to load your new software. First, check links to ensure minimum system requirements and the video card compatibility is met. Also, confirm that the hard drive has enough space to have at least 15% free space, after the full installation. Back-up data such as any shared Toolbox library, Design Library, Template files, or a data management vault. As always, verify workmates, customers, or vendors are all on the same version of SOLIDWORKS. Older versions of SOLIDWORKS cannot open files from newer versions.
Be sure to check that your version of Excel is supported, as it is common practice to export Inspection documents to Excel spreadsheets.
Depending on your needs, installing SOLIDWORKS might be necessary. If you want to create inspection documents from SOLIDWORKS drawing files, you need to use and run the SOLIDWORKS Inspection add-in. If you work with files that open with the standalone version only, then you do not need to install SOLIDWORKS 2019.
1. Make sure you are logged in as the administrator.
2. Disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
3. If you are installing the add-in, make sure SOLIDWORKS 2019 is installed or that you are going to install it simultaneously with Inspection.
4. Download SOLIDWORKS 2019 from the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal site or insert your DVD. Here is a link to our Download and Updates guide.
- If Downloading, the file set will be in a .ZIP folder. Before unzipping the files, check that they are unblocked by right clicking on the .ZIP file and selecting properties. If there is an “Unblock” option at the bottom of the window, select it, then apply and close the window. Unzipping the file should automatically run the .exe file, but if it does not, double-click the sldIM.exe or setup.exe located in the unzipped folder to begin the installation.
- If using the DVD, the auto-run should start the Installation Manager. If not, navigate to the DVD folder and double-click the sldIM.exe or setup.exe located there.
5. The executable should bring you to the install wizard. Click “Individual” and then click “Next”.
6. The next page will ask for your 24 digit serial number. If you have this information in a document, you can copy and paste this information into the first cell and it will fill out correctly. For the Inspection Add-in, enter both a SOLIDWORKS and Inspection Serial. For just the Inspection Standalone, only enter the serial for SOLIDWORKS Inspection. The serial number section may already be filled out if you have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS on your system. Click “Next” to continue.
7. If you already have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS installed, the next page will ask if you are upgrading or installing another installation. Select the option that best suits your needs and click “next”.
8. Check that Inspection is included in the Products to Add on the Summary page. If it is not, click “Change” and select the box for Inspection under Product Selection.
9. On the Summary page, you can set folder the necessary files will be installed to by clicking “Change”. If the default (C:\Program Files) is acceptable, select “Install Now”.
10. Once the install is complete, click finish.
11. Launch SOLIDWORKS Inspection or turn on the SOLIDWORKS Inspection add-in inside SOLIDWORKS 2019 (tools>add-ins). You will be prompted to activate the SOLIDWORKS products. Select SOLIDWORKS Inspection and click “Next”.
Now the software is loaded on the system and ready for use.