This article walks you through the steps necessary to install the 2019 version of SOLIDWORKS Composer.
This guide is written for version 2019. If you are using an earlier version of SOLIDWORKS Composer, please download our earlier installation documents.
This document has detailed instructions on how to download, install, license and administer SOLIDWORKS Composer 2019.
Before loading any software, you should always login with full administrative permissions and disable your anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS Composer, please contact a support technician through our website or call us at 1.877.266.4469 (USA) or 1.866.587.6803 (Canada).
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS Composer and checking that you are ready to load your new software. First, ensure that your computer meets minimum system requirements and that your video card passes certification checks. Also, confirm that the hard drive has enough space to have at least 15% free space after the full installation. Back-up data such as any shared Image library, Template files, or a data management vault. As always, verify workmates, customers, or vendors are all on the same version of SOLIDWORKS. Older versions of SOLIDWORKS cannot open files from newer versions.
NOTE:Composer files are not locked to year versions.
SOLIDWORKS Composer can now be installed from the SOLIDWORKS installation disc or Download. It uses the same Installation Manager as SOLIDWORKS. If you did not receive the SOLIDWORKS disc in the mail, you will need to download the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager to download and install SOLIDWORKS Composer.
1. Put in the SOLIDWORKS installation disc and start the Setup.exe. If you do not have the disc, go to the SOLIDWORKS downloads page and choose the SOLIDWORKS version that corresponds to the version of Composer that you would like to install. (Please note that you will need to login before you can get to that address.) Follow the instructions to download and start the executable.
2. Exit all other programs and click the Next button to continue.
3. You will now need to put in your SOLIDWORKS Composer serial number.
NOTE: If you are unable to find your Composer serial number, please call us so we can send it to a previously established email address.
4. Press Next to continue.
NOTE: If you are not online, it will warn that you cannot automatically select products to install. Pressing Cancel will continue with the load, but you must manually select all your add-ins during the installation instead of being given a list based on your serial number.
5. If you do not have SOLIDWORKS on your machine, you will want to install the SOLIDWORKS Translator. If you do not select SOLIDWORKS in the product list, you will have an option to put a check mark next to the SOLIDWORKS Translator. This feature eliminates the ability to install the Translator and SOLIDWORKS onto the same computer.
NOTE: If you do not see Composer as an option to check mark, uncheck Composer Player first, then Composer should appear in the List of options to install.
6. Verify all the information on the screen and continue with the installation.
7. Click the Install (or Download and Install) button to continue.
8. If you have a network license for Composer, you will be asked to specify the SNL location. This is where your SolidNetWork License Manager is loaded and running. The default port number for this is 25734. Type “25734@<server name>” and press OK to continue. To setup the license manager, please see our Network Server Install guide.
9. SOLIDWORKS Composer will install at this time.
SOLIDWORKS Composer has activation-based licensing like SOLIDWORKS. The first time Composer is launched it will launch the activation wizard.
Follow the instructions to activate SOLIDWORKS Composer over the internet.
1. If prompted, select ‘Activate/Reactivate a software license’ at the first prompt.
2. Highlight the composer license in the activation wizard by clicking ‘select all’ and choose ‘Next’, this will launch the activation process.
3. Once the activation process completes, Composer will be fully licensed and installed. If the activation does not succeed Composer will launch with a temporary 30-day activation.
To manually run activation, you may launch the activation wizard from with the help menu and follow the same steps as above. Go to Help -> Activate Licenses. Once SOLIDWORKS Composer is activated, you will be able to use the product.
Please note that if you need to install SOLIDWORKS Composer onto a new machine, please transfer the license off the machine that is no longer going to be used.