This article walks you through the steps necessary to install SOLIDWORKS 2019 as a network licensed client workstation.
This guide is written for SOLIDWORKS 2019. If you are using an earlier version of SOLIDWORKS, please download our earlier installation documents.
Before loading any software, you should always login with full administrative permissions and disable any anti-virus and anti-spyware programs.
Before installing a network client, you must first install the SolidNetWork License Manager. If you have not done this yet, please see our document on Network Server Installation before continuing with the client install.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS, please contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS and checking that you are ready to load your new software.
First, ensure that your computer meets minimum system requirements and that your video card passes certification checks. Also, confirm that the hard drive has enough space to have at least 15% free space after the full installation. Back-up data such as any shared Toolbox library, Design Library, Template files, or a data management vault. As always, verify workmates, customers, or vendors are all on the same version of SOLIDWORKS. Older versions of SOLIDWORKS cannot open files from newer versions.
If you are installing 2019, and have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS already loaded, it is recommended that you uninstall your existing software before upgrading, as many file locations have changed. See our removal guide for more information on this process. You can also choose to install as a "New Installation" if you want to keep older installation side by side with 2019.
1. Make sure you are logged in as the administrator.
2. Disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware tools as well as user account control.
3. Insert the DVD into your computer. If you don’t have a DVD, you can download the program from the customer portal at http://customerportal.solidworks.com/. For more information, see our downloads and updates document.
4. The installer should start automatically. If it does not, explore to the DVD drive and double-click on the SOLIDWORKS icon, or right-click and choose autoplay. If you are using a download, double-click the setup.exe within the unzipped sldim folder if it does not run after unzipping.
5. The Welcome page will welcome you to SOLIDWORKS and ask which type of installation you would like to perform. For a network client install, pick the option Individual (on this computer). Press the Next button to continue.
6. The Serial Number page will ask for your 16 or 24 digit serial number. If you have this information from a document, you can copy and paste this information into the first cell and it will fill out correctly.
7. If you are loading other products with separate serial numbers, press the corresponding checkboxes and enter these numbers as well.
Note that SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard is included with SOLIDWORKS Professional and SOLIDWORKS Premium. A PDM Standard serial number only needs to be entered if this item was purchased separately with Standard SOLIDWORKS.
Also, Basic Simulation and SOLIDWORKS Motion are included with SOLIDWORKS Premium and these items only need to be entered if you have purchased these separately.
If you purchased Simulation Professional or Simulation Premium, you will want to enter your serial number for SOLIDWORKS Simulation to ensure the full version is loaded.
8. Click the Next button to continue. You may be informed that there is a newer version of SOLIDWORKS available for download. We recommend you choose to continue installing with your original service pack and upgrade later. Press the Next button to continue.
9. The installer will check to see that it is up to date, as well as confirming what products you are entitled to load.
10. If you are not online, it will warn that you cannot automatically select products to install. Pressing “Cancel” will bypass this message, and the installation manager will continue with the load, but you must manually select all your add-ins during the installation instead of being given a list based on your serial number.
11. The system will detect any previous installations of SOLIDWORKS.
If an existing SOLIDWORKS installation is detected, you have the option of installing a new installation, or upgrading an existing installation. We recommend loading as a new installation. If you have an existing SOLIDWORKS installation you should save any: Libraries, templates, vault, and shared toolbox locations, prior to removing any the older versions of SOLIDWORKS, and continue your installation. If you are keeping older versions, You can add a year version to your new toolbox like this: C:\SOLIDWORKS data 2019, for side by side "new" installations.
12. Click the Next button to continue.
13. With the serial number you provided, the version of SOLIDWORKS and its add-ins will appear in the Summary page under the Products list. If you would like to edit what products will be loaded, you can press the CHANGE button to customize your installation.
14. If you choose to add or remove items from this installation, you can do this with the check boxes in front of each item. Press the Back to Summary button to return to the revised summary.
15. If you wish to edit your Download Options, Install Locations or Toolbox Options, you can press the Plus symbol (+) in front of the desired item. Press the CHANGE button on any of these summary items to customize them.
If the download method is left at the default setting of “maximize speed” this uses as much bandwidth as possible and will slow down the internet speed for others on your network. Press the CHANGE button for Download Options, uncheck the Speed up downloads by using more network bandwidth box and then press Back to Summary to continue.
Hole Wizard Options:
If you have an existing library, you should update this if you plan on using existing assemblies in 2019. If you choose to update, make sure all users are going to use 2019; you cannot mix toolbox information from older versions.
You will also be shown the required file size and available disk space at the bottom of this page. If there are any items selected earlier that require download, the size of these will be listed too.
16. Click the Install (or Download and Install) button to continue.
17. You will be asked to specify the SolidNetWork License Manager (SNL) location. This is where your SNL is loaded and running. The default port number for this is 25734. Type “<Port>@<server name>” and press OK to continue.
18. If any installation files need to download to load your summary options, these will be downloaded from the internet automatically.
19. Now SOLIDWORKS will install.
20. After SOLIDWORKS is installed, the other programs such as eDrawings, SOLIDWORKS Explorer and, depending on your package of SOLIDWORKS, any Data Management or Simulation items chosen during the product selection on the summary page module will also install.
21. Now that SOLIDWORKS and its add-ins have all been loaded, you have the option to automatically check for service pack updates periodically, open the “What’s New” PDF or login and comment on the installation interface.
22. You can choose to join the Customer Experience Program if you wish. This will periodically send fault and usage information via e-mail to SOLIDWORKS to help improve the product.
23. Press the Finish button to complete the installation.
You should now be able to open SOLIDWORKS 2019 and have it seamlessly check out a license in the background.
When a user opens SOLIDWORKS with any upper level add-in activated, they will checkout the SOLIDWORKS Professional or SOLIDWORKS Premium seat from the network, equal to whatever version the add-in is from (i.e. having PhotoView 360 or Toolbox active will checkout a professional seat, having Simulation active will checkout a premium seat).
For further assistance, please contact our HawkSupport team at 877-266-4469(US) or 866-587-6803(Canada) and email@example.com.