2017 PDM Professional Database Server Installation
This guide is written for administrators of SolidWorks PDM Professional 2017. The goal of this guide is to detail the steps necessary for an administrator to successfully install the Database component of the PDM Professional server installation. The other components that are required for the PDM Professional server to function correctly are SQL and the Archive server. Please see the installation guides for those components for information about installing them.
SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional is used to securely store and manage engineering files. The Database Server component of PDM Professional runs as a service, and is supported on SQL Server 2008 R2, 2012, 2014, and 2016 running on Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016.
Before the Installation
Before the PDM Professional Database Server component is installed, please ensure that the following are true:
- All Windows updates have been downloaded and installed.
- You have the password for the “sa” or another “sysadmin” account for your SQL instance if you plan to use an existing one.
- Your Windows account has administrative permissions.
Installation of the Database Server
- Insert and run the SOLIDWORKS Installation disc 1, or run the “Setup.exe” file inside your downloaded installation folder.
- Select “Server Products” > Install SOLIDWORKS PDM Server, and “Next”.
- Select “Change” next to “SOLIDWORKS PDM Server”.
- Select “SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional (Formerly Enterprise PDM)”, check “Database Server”, input your SQL server login information, and then select “Back to Summary”.
- Note that you can also choose to install the Archive Server, Client, and/or Web components here if needed. Please see the guides for those products for more information.
- Select “Change” Next to “Download Options” to verify that your download options are correct. Adjust these as needed and select “Back to Summary”.
- Accept the terms of the SOLIDWORKS License Agreement and select “Install Now”, or “Download and Install”, depending on your selection in “Download Options”.
- If the installation prompts a restart of the computer, that should be followed accordingly. After this is finished, the database server installation should be complete.