SOLIDWORKS 2017 MBD Install Guide
This guide is written to address the installation procedure for SOLIDWORKS 2017 MBD.
Before loading any software, you should always log in with full administrative permissions and disable your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and user account controls. The installation process has a Java component, be sure your operating system has been updated with Windows Updates recently to avoid any compatibility issues with the installer.
If you want to move a license to a new system, or from one machine to another, you must transfer that license beforehand. See the license agreement if you are unsure about this policy.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS MBD please contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS MBD to check that you are ready to load your new software. Follow these steps to have better performance using SOLIDWORKS MBD.
- Check hardware compatibility.
- Login to SOLIDWORKS.com, click the Login link at the top of the page and login to the Customer Portal. In the self service area, there are links to check video card compatibility
- Check System compatibility.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1 (64-bit only), and Windows 10 (64-bit only).
- Microsoft Excel 2010, 2013, or 2016
- Microsoft .Net Framework version 3.5 SP1
- SOLIDWORKS 2017
- Check hard drive for space and overhead.
- In Windows Explorer, go to My Computer and check destination drive (by default the C drive). Right-click this drive and choose Properties to see if it has the “Estimated installation size” free required for the full program.
- Also, be sure this drive has at least 15% free space. A full disk may cause out-of-memory crashes and cannot be defragmented to optimize performance.
- Make sure you are logged in as the administrator.
- Disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
- Install/Update to SOLIDWORKS 2016.
- Download SOLIDWORKS 2017 from the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal site. Once the file has been downloaded, be sure to right-click the file, select "Properties," and check that the file is unblocked. Double-click the executable (setup.exe file) to begin the installation.
- Once started, the executable should bring you to the install wizard. Click “Individual” and then click “Next”.
- The next page will ask for your 24 digit serial number. If you have this information in a document, you can copy and paste this information into the first cell and it will fill out correctly. Click “Next” to continue.
- If you already have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS installed, the next page will ask if you are upgrading or installing another installation. Select the option that best suits your needs and click “next”.
- Note that SOLIDWORKS MBD does not show up as a selection in the product selection page of the installation process because the MBD components are automatically installed with the SOLIDWORKS installer.
- On the following page, you can set the install folder by clicking “Change”. If the default (C:\Program Files) is acceptable, simply hit “Install Now”.
- Once the install is complete, simply click finish.
- Launch SOLIDWORKS. You will be prompted to activate the SOLIDWORKS products. Select SOLIDWORKS MBD and click “Next”.
- SOLIDWORKS MBD is not included in the SOLIDWORKS add-ins list. There is no way to turn SOLIDWORKS MBD on or off. To use MBD, simply activate the MBD toolbar ribbon to gain access to the MBD commands.