The activation procedure for SimulationXpress is reasonably straight-forward and a guide can be found here. However, it is possible that the activation may fail in some situations. This article details some troubleshooting steps for when the error shown below occurs.
Firstly, close SOLIDWORKS and explicitly run it as an administrator. This can be done by holding down the Shift key, right-clicking on the SOLIDWORKS shortcut and clicking Run As Administrator. After doing this, retry the SimulationXpress activation to see if it works.
If the above steps do not work, confirm that the SOLIDWORKS serial number shown on the SimulationXpress activation site matches that for your SOLIDWORKS installation. Within SOLIDWORKS, you can check your serial number under Help > About SOLIDWORKS > Show Serial Number. If these serial numbers do not match, please attempt steps 5–7 in the procedure at the end of this article, or contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support.
If the serial numbers match but the code still gives the error, then try the steps below. Note that this does involve editing the Windows registry, which can cause operating system issues if done incorrectly. Please contact Hawk Ridge Systems Technical Support if you are uncomfortable with this procedure.
- Browse to the following location in the registry on the system, where XX is the year version (e.g. 2016): HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks\Licenses\20XX
- Verify that a string called SimulationXpress exists and that its value is the same as the SimulationXpress Product Code.
- If the entry does not exist, try adding it manually, ensuring that there are no extra characters present in the entry.
- Re-test the issue.
- If the issue persists, launch the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager from Control Panel > Programs & Features, selecting the SOLIDWORKS installation then clicking Change.
- Select Modify > Next, and run through the Installation Manager without making any changes. This should update any inconsistencies with SOLIDWORKS serial number data in the registry (which is stored in multiple locations)
- Re-test the issue.