2016 Inspection Install Guide
SOLIDWORKS Inspection Install Guide
Inspection Add-in/Standalone Install
Guide on installing the SOLIDWORKS Inspection Add-in/Standalone
This guide is written for SOLIDWORKS Inspection in 2016.
Before loading any software, you should always log in with full administrative permissions and disable your anti-virus, anti-spyware, and user account controls. The installation process has a Java component, so be sure your operating system is up to date with the most recent Windows Updates to avoid any compatibility issues with the installer.
If you want to move a license to a new system, or from one machine to another, you must transfer that license back beforehand. See the license agreement if you are unsure about this policy.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SOLIDWORKS Inspection please contact Hawk Ridge Systems technical support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
©2015 Hawk Ridge Systems
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS Inspection to check that you are ready to load your new software. Follow these steps to have better performance using SOLIDWORKS Inspection.
1. Check hardware compatibility.
- Login to the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal. In the Self Service area, there are links to check video card compatibility as well as minimum system requirements.
2. Check System compatibility.
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7, Windows 8 (64-bit only), and Windows 8.1 (64-bit only). (Windows 10 too)
- Microsoft Excel 2007, 2010, or 2013 (Note that Microsoft ‘Click To Run’ is not supported)
- Microsoft .Net Framework version 3.5 SP1
- SolidWorks 2014 SP3 or later
3. Check hard drive for space and overhead.
- In Windows Explorer, go to My Computer and check destination drive (by default the C drive). Right-click this drive and choose Properties to see if it has the “Estimated installation size” (10.3 GB in this case) free required for the full program. (10.3 GB recommended installation size for inspection? Does this mean for SWX? Also, as with the standalone guide, this second sentence needs to be clarified a bit)
- Also, be sure this drive has at least 15% free space. A full disk may cause out-of-memory crashes and cannot be defragged to optimize performance.
Depending on your needs, installing SOLIDWORKS might be necessary. If you want to create inspection documents from SOLIDWORKS drawing files, you need to use and run the SOLIDWORKS Inspection add-in. If you work with PDF or TIFF files only, then you do not need to install SOLIDWORKS 2016.
1. Make sure you are logged in as the administrator.
2. Disable all anti-virus and anti-spyware tools.
3. Install/Update to SOLIDWORKS 2014 SP3.0 or later. (I feel like this step should be removed since this is a guide for 2016)
4. Download SOLIDWORKS 2016 from the SOLIDWORKS Customer Portal site and double-click the executable (.exe file) to begin the installation.
5. Once started, the executable should bring you to the install wizard. Click “Individual” and then click “Next”.
6. The next page will ask for your 24 digits serial number. If you have this information in a document, you can copy and paste this information into the first cell and it will fill out correctly. For the Inspection Add-in, enter both a SOLIDWORKS and Inspection Serial. For just the Inspection Standalone, only enter the serial for SOLIDWORKS Inspection. Click “Next” to continue.
7. If you already have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS installed, the next page will ask if you are upgrading or installing another installation. Select the option that best suits your needs and click “next”.
8. On the following page, you can set the install folder by clicking “Change”. If the default (C:\Program Files) is acceptable, simply hit “Install Now”.
9. Once the install is complete, simply click finish.
10. Launch SOLIDWORKS Inspection or turn on the SOLIDWORKS Inspection add-in inside SOLIDWORKS 2016 (tools>add-ins). You will be prompted to activate the SOLIDWORKS products. Select SOLIDWORKS Inspection and click “Next”.
For further assistance, please contact our HawkSupport team at 877-266-4469(US) or 866-587-6803(Canada) and firstname.lastname@example.org.