With Windows Server 2008 R2, the Indexing Service was renamed to Windows Search. This leads to the inability to enable the Windows Index Search within the WorkgroupPDM Vault. This article will cover the process to create the service manually.
Enable the Indexing Service:
- Click Start, then Control Panel
- Select Programs and Features
- On the left side, select Turn Windows Features on or off
- Place a check mark next to Indexing Service and click OK
Adding a COM+ Component
- Start, click Run, Type “dcomcnfg” and click OK.
- Expand Component Services, click Computers, click My Computer
- Right Click on COM+ Applications, click New, select Application
- Select Next, then Select “Create an empty application”
- Name the new application “Indexing Component” and select Server Application as the Activation Type. Select Next.
- On the Set Application Identity screen, select the account that will use the application and click Next. The default is Interactive user.
- On the Add Application Roles screen, click Next to use the CreatorOwner
- Click Finish. The Indexing Component is added to the list of COM+ Applications.
- Expand the Indexing Component, right-click Components, and click New, then click Component.
- In the COM+ Component Install Wizard, click Next.
- On the Import or install a component screen, click Install new component(s).
- In the Select files to install dialog box, browse to Windows\System32 and select ciodm.dll.
- Click Open.
- Click Next and Finish.
- Right-click the Indexing Component application and click Properties.
- In the Indexing Component Properties dialog box:
- On the Activation tab, select Run application as NT Service.
- Click Setup New Service.
- In the Service Setup dialog box:
- For Startup Type, select Automatic.
- Click Create and Apply.
- On the Identity tab, for Account, select System Account and Local System – Complete access to local machine.
- Click OK.
Enabling Search in Workgroup PDM
Click Start, All Programs, select SolidWorks Workgroup PDM VaultAdmin.
- In the SolidWorks Workgroup PDM VaultAdmin dialog box, on the Search tab:
- Under Operations, click Build Catalog to create a new SolidWorks Workgroup PDM catalog.
- Under General, ensure that Enable Indexing Service Search is checked.
- Click OK.