This article describes the procedure to find the EPA of a SOLIDWORKS model onto a normal plane
The projected area of a model onto a normal plane can be found using the following procedure:
1. Open the SOLIDWORKS model and rotate/align the model into the view from which you would like to calculate the projected area.
2. Go to File > Save As and change the “Save as type” to DXF.
3. In the DXF/DWG Output command manager use the *Current option to export the file.
4. Open the DXF as a 2D sketch in a new part.
5. Extrude the part based on the DXF 2D sketch and then use the measure tool to find the area of the part.