To enhance your drawing, it is currently possible to insert static pictures. However, what if those pictures need to change? Is there a better way to do this without having to re-insert all of those images manually?
SolidWorks does offer the ability to insert linked objects, however when I insert JPG and PNG files they show up as an icon and not the actual image.
The problem is that Windows does not know which program to use to show a correct preview of the embedded object. We need to edit the registry and tell Windows to use Paint to display the image correctly.
- Open the registry editor(regedit.exe) by searching for it in the Windows start menu.
- Browse to this folder: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg
- Double click on the string value for Default to edit
- Change the value from jpgfile to Paint.Picture.
- Close the registry editor and restart SolidWorks and try to insert the object again.
Once you re-insert the object, it should now look like the following in your drawing.