This guide is written for administrators of SolidWorks PDM Professional 2024. The goal of this guide is to detail the steps necessary for an administrator to successfully install the Database component of the PDM Professional server installation. The other components that are required for the PDM Professional server to function correctly are SQL and the Archive server. Please see the installation guides for those components for information about installing them.
The Database Server service (not to be confused with the SQL database) is a helper service responsible for, among other things, sending automatic notifications and updating schedules in a replicated environment. To function correctly, the Database Server service must be connected to the vault SQL database.
Hawk Ridge Systems highly recommends taking a moment before installing SOLIDWORKS and checking that you are ready to load your new software. First, ensure that your system meets the minimum system requirements for the products you are installing.
This is not a troubleshooting guide. If you have any technical issues with SolidWorks, please contact Hawk Ridge Systems technical support.
This document is only to be distributed and used by Hawk Ridge Systems customers. Any other use is prohibited.
Before the PDM Professional Database Server component is installed, please ensure that the following are true:
- You have the password for the “sa” or another “sysadmin” account for your SQL instance if you plan to use an existing one.
- Your Windows account has administrative permissions.
Installation of the Database Server
- Insert and run the SOLIDWORKS Installation disc 1 or run the “Setup.exe” file inside your downloaded installation folder.
- Select “Install server components” > “Install SOLIDWORKS PDM Server”, and “Next”.
- Select “Change” next to “SOLIDWORKS PDM Server”.
- Select “SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional” (formerly Enterprise PDM) and check “Database Server”.
- Note that you can also choose to install the Archive Server, Client, and/or Web components here if needed. Please see the guides for those products for more information.
- Select your SQL install by pressing the browse button or manually typing in the instance location. The Browse button will list local instances and other instances broadcasting on port 1433.
- Enter in the SQL sa login credentials or an equivalent SQL DB Owner account in order to give the PDM Database Server the appropriate permissions to log into the database.
- Select “Change” next to “Download Options” to verify that your download options are correct. Adjust these as needed and select “Back to Summary”.
- Accept the terms of the SOLIDWORKS License Agreement and select “Install Now”, or “Download and Install”, depending on your selection in “Download Options”.
- If the installation prompts a restart of the computer, this should be followed accordingly. After this is finished, the Database Server installation should be complete.
For further assistance, please contact our support team at email@example.com, or 877-266-4469 (US) or 866-587-6803 (Canada).